Maenad of the moment.

Maenad of the moment.
“Saints have no moderation, nor do poets, just exuberance.” - Anne Sexton

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

And you meant it...

Mornings like this, when everything seems to be upside down and inside out, serve to remind me of why we have lasted.
An alarm clock that doesn’t go off
A sick puppy
A crying child with a hairbrush stuck in her hair and one sock on her foot
A teenager that seems to wake up each morning possessed by Satan himself

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, mascara smeared all over my face, hair looking like a very bad eighties wig, wearing mismatched socks, one of your t-shirts and nothing else while trying to move herds of children and various house pets in the right direction. I was frowning. I could see every line, every imperfection, and every sign of age staring back at me.

If I didn’t have you, I might have gotten depressed. Instead, at that exact moment, you walked by – laughed- and said; “Morning beautiful.”

And you meant it.

No comments:

Post a Comment