Maenad of the moment.

Maenad of the moment.
“Saints have no moderation, nor do poets, just exuberance.” - Anne Sexton

Sunday, January 3, 2010

On the eve of my 40th birthday

I give you - in no particular order and appearing in different places in my (almost) forty years on this earth-

chick songs.


1. Brass in Pocket, the Pretenders






Now this song can have many interpretations, but it is oh-so-sexy. ;)

Plus, well, Chrissie is just ohmygodhot.

2. You Ought to Know, Alanis Morrisette





The ultimate fuck you song to an ex. I love her anger in this. I always have. We've all felt this way at one time or another.

3. Stupid Girl, Garbage






Self-explanatory. Plus - Shirley Manson. Yum.

4. Just a Girl, No Doubt





Again, no explanation needed.

5. Opheliac, Emilie Autumn.






There are a few by her that fit, but this is my personal fav.

6. Respect, Aretha Franklin





The queen in her best role. "I'll give you everything but you better give me some respect."

7. Irreplaceable, Beyonce





Come on ladies, sing it with me -- "To the left, to the left. Everything you own is in a box to the left."

8. Extraordinary, Liz Phair





"I am just your ordinary average everyday sane psycho."

9. I feel like fucking, Binkini Kill





Just cuz my world, sweet sister
Is so fucking goddamn full of rape
Does that mean
My body must always be a source of pain?
No, no, no
--

Enough said on that.

10. Dry, PJ Harvey




"You leave me dry." Harsh. Bet the person she wrote this about wishes it had ended differently. Hee!

11. Winter, Tori Amos




No girl song list is complete without a song to your daddy. This one is probably the best song I've ever heard about a daddy/daughter relationship. Everytime I hear it, I cry. I miss you daddy.

"He says - When you gonna make up your mind? When you gonna love you as much as I do? When you gonna make up your mind because things are gonna change so fast."

12. Are you strong enough to be my man, Sheryl Crow




A mature song. We likes mature songs.

12. Path of Thorns (Terms), Sarah McLachlen




Great end of a relationship song.

"Through the years I've grown to love you
Though your commitment to most would offend
But I stuck by you holding on with my foolish pride
Waiting for you to give in...
You never really tried or so it seems
I've had more than myself to blame
I've had enough of trying everything
And this time it is the end..."

13. Cherry Bomb, The Runaways





Probably don't need to explain this one either.

14. Never Say Never, Romeo Void





"I might like you better if we slept together".

15. Don't let me get me, Pink.





Yay Pink!

15. Beautiful, Christina Aguilera





Not normally a Christina fan, but this song is so meaningful.

16. You love me, Kimya Dawson






This could be the story of my life. :)

17. I do, Lisa Loeb





What a break up song. This one is definitely dedicated to an ex-husband who will remain nameless.

18. Torn, Natalie Imbruglia





Beautiful words.

19. Sleep to Dream, Fiona Apple






"You say love is a hell you cannot bare and I say give me mine back and go there, for all I care."

20. No Scrubs, TLC






My theme song for a long time :)

No, I don't want your number.
No, I don't want to give you mine.
And no, I don't want to meet you nowhere
Don't want none of your time.

If you don't have a car and you're walking
Oh yes son, I'm talking to you.
If you live at home with your mama
Oh yes son, I'm talking to you.
If you have a shorty that you don't show loving
Oh yes son, I'm talking to you.



21. What a man, Salt n Pepa with En Vogue






And then there was this one...

"I finally found somebody that can make me laugh.
You so crazy, I wanna have your babies."

Fin

---

1 comment:

  1. you covered ALL your bases and I mean ALL!!!! every single one of these songs is perfect for so many reasons.

    and a little question hee hee... have you forgotten you have a blog to write? 40 is a bad excuse! jk it's not
    Love, Jenn
    p.s. I'm really excited about turning 40 this year!

    ReplyDelete